Thursday, February 17, 2011

paradiddle


7. Learn to play the drums. - DONE!

Well, I guess I shouldn't really say I'm totally finished the learning process, but I'll admit I feel pretty confident after two lessons!

My first drum lesson was last week and my second was last night.  One more lesson on Monday before I'm out of town for a bit.  My teacher's this very cool dude named Mike. He's chill, he's talented, and I like the way he teaches.  Mostly, it's fun to do something FUN that's just for me.

So last night he says, "Do you know what a paradiddle is?"

"Isn't that when you have one headlight out?"

"No, that's a padiddle."

"Isn't it someone who looks like you?"

"No, that's a doppleganger."

"Alright I give up."

For those of you who AREN'T drummers, a paradiddle is a rudiment, which is basically a "building block" of drumming.  Fun little patterns that you learn to string together to make, you know, a song...or something that sounds cool.  

Clear as mud, huh? ;)

I think both my teacher and I were surprised by how quickly I picked it up.  It hasn't been nearly as challenging as I thought it would be, but I do have about 12 years of piano experience and a ton of dance experience so I do have SOME rhythm.  But it's still a learning process.

So now I know single stroke rudiments, double stroke rudiments, buzz rolls, triple stroke rolls, annnnnddddd  (drumroll please, pun intended)....the PARADIDDLE!  Which is basically just alternating notes, in a pattern of Right Left Right Right, Left Right Left Left.  So now you know!

Our lesson is basically half technique, rudiments, and practice.  The other half I get to learn drum beats for popular songs and learn to play along. 

And the cool thing is?  I'm up to about 8 songs now. :)

Oh, and of COURSE, Sadira LOOOVES having the drums in the house.  Whenever I practice, she announces, "your turn is over, MY TURN!"

$20 says after a few months she's a better drummer than me, haha.

3 comments:

tassie said...

As Nas's neighbor, I can verify that she really does sound great, even after just a couple of lessons. I thought she was being taught at her house...nope, it was her, jamming out.

Misty said...

We need a video of jamming Nas!!

I am so proud of you for all of the things you have crossed off your list! You are truly inspiring!

And as for Sadira... I see a stage performance in her future!!!

sun light said...

The paradiddle can be used to form a funky linear drum groove.
Play your right hand on your hi hat and keep the left hand on
the snare drum (maintaining the accent positions as written above).
If you are accenting the notes correctly you should hear a funky
groove. Take the initiative to add some bass drum patterns and
experiment with this highly versatile rudiment.

paradiddles
paradiddle book
paradiddle exercises

Post a Comment

© 2011 My 30 Project, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena