Tuesday, July 27, 2010

for my manda



3. Write a letter to a friend every week for one year.

Amanda and I, circa 1986.

Amanda and I met in Kindergarten.  I don't remember how, and I don't remember when, I just always remember being friends with her.  We went to a small Catholic school, and it went from K-8th grade, so our little group was together for many years.  I remember when we all split up and went to separate schools it was exciting but borderline traumatizing for me to be separated from all the kids I grew up with.  I had to venture outside of my bubble.

My great-grandma was a funny sassy lady, and so is Amanda's grandmother.  They became friends waiting for us in the mornings when we'd get out of Kindergarten.  My great-grandma passed away while I was in college, but Amanda's is still with us and as feisty as ever.  The last time I saw her, Sadira and I were visiting and she said to me about Sadie, "Don't you think Louise would've just loved her?"  It meant a lot to me that even after all these years Mrs. Virginia still remembers my great-grandma.  But that's how we all were back then.

Once high school hit, Amanda and I lost touch.  We didn't all have cell phones, and email, and Facebook back then to keep ourselves infinitely attached to one another.  I moved, and she moved, and there was just no way to track one another down. 

Years passed.

And then one day out of curiosity I search her info on Myspace (remember that website?) and there she was!  I knew it was her right away and shot her an email.  The next week we got together for dinner.  A few months later she asked me to be in her wedding, and a few months after that I asked her to be my daughter's Godmother.

Amanda and her husband Chris are expecting right now and due in January.  I couldn't be more excited for them!!  However, they also just got some recent crappy news from Amanda's employer---well, now EX-employer.  It's been a rough couple of days for her, and she's been on my mind, so today's blog seemed appropriate and well timed.

My letter to my Manda.

"I know I’ve said it before, but I just want to let you know how incredibly GRATEFUL I am that we found each other again.  I really can’t imagine my life without your friendship in it, and even through all those years that we had lost touch, I wondered what you were up to and knew that somehow we’d run into each other again.  It’s such a blessing to be able to say that you have been life-long friends with someone, and it’s even more amazing to say that we’ve known one another for 25 years!!  You know me the best, because you’ve known me the longest.

The thing I love the most about our friendship is that no matter how much time has gone by we can always pick up right where we left off. Years went by, and we were able to get each other caught up on our lives in just one dinner conversation.  That’s a sign of true friendship, to me.  I was so honored when you asked me to be in your wedding, because I knew that you felt the same way about our friendship as I did---once a friend, always a friend.

You have such a wonderful family that I’ve always felt a part of, so it seemed the obvious choice to ask you to be Sadira’s godmother when that time came around.  The love and generosity that you and your family showered me with during my whole pregnancy and then after she was born was incredible.  It’s awesome how family really extends between friends. 

Sometimes we think exactly alike, and other times we couldn’t be more opposite!  But deep down, we have the same values, the same loves, the same fears---because we were raised alongside one another.  I’m so very excited about your pregnancy, because I think it will be such an amazing thing to see our children interact with one another.  Sadira LOVES babies these days, and I think by the time January comes she will be a seasoned professional and totally ready and willing to teach Baby Gaga just about everything there is to know.  If Rusty is any indication of your ability to parent, I know your baby will be extremely loved….and maybe just a tad spoiled?? ;) You and Chris are going to be amazing parents. 

I’m so glad that we were able to find one another in time to experience these milestones in life together."

 Manda and me on her wedding day! 5/19/07

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 My 30 Project, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena