Thursday, June 16, 2011

better late than never, right?


Those are Earth Day cookies...DUH!

6. Plant a tree on Earth Day. - DONE!

What?  What's that you say?  Earth Day was like 55 days ago?

I know, I know.  I'm horribly behind in my blogging...so in true Mirjafary form, I've procrastinated, waited til the last minute and now it's the final countdown.  (Not gonna lie, you probably don't want to click that link, haha! Don't say I didn't warn you...)

So waaaaaaay back in mid-April Sadira and I were really looking forward to Earth Day, because Oregon Ridge Nature Center was having a HUUUGE Earth Day celebration with tons of family activities including....a tree plant!  Perfect, right?  Great way to cross #6 off the list.

But remember how we had that perfectly planned out camping trip, and ended up having to change our plans at that last minute?  Well, that's pretty much the story of my life.  I make plans, and God laughs. 

So OF COURSE things didn't work out the way I planned them...meaning on the day of Earth Day it was freezing cold.  And pouring. 

Thanks Mother Earth.

So we opted for an indoor celebration of Earth day, and planted some spring flowers instead.  It was our Earth Day compromise. 


We had to do the actual "planting" inside because it was so cold out.



Grumpy face because it was FREEZING and RAINY out there!

In the meantime, I was gifted not one, not two, but THREE trees to plant on my own.  One was a red maple (which I gave to a neighbor), another was a magnolia (which is in a sad state of affairs on my porch), and the third was a plumeria stalk brought directly from Hawaii by my friend Donna.

I have yet to find "mostly sandy soil" in Baltimore in which to plant the plumeria.

About two weeks later our Earth Day celebration at Oregon Ridge was rescheduled.  We got out there annndddd.....my camera battery was dead.  Booo.  But we did get to plant a tree.  Sadira picked out a tree with pink flowering leaves (no surprise there).  I'm not sure what exactly it is, maybe a dogwood? 

We learned that there is a proper way to plant a tree, and that trees need to be planted no deeper than the soil they were previously in, and wide enough to allow the roots to expand and grow.  You also have to include a soil pedestal where the tree will sit, with a little drainage ditch around it, so it doesn't essentially drown itself. 

Who would've known?

Anyway, a few weeks later, we were back in the area to attend a birthday party, and I DID have my camera.  So we drove through the area where the tree had been planted, and found it (umm, at least, I'm pretty sure this one was ours...).  Looks like someone added a cute little support fence around it, because we definitely didn't do that.


Happy Earth Day 55 days belated!!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

© 2011 My 30 Project, AllRightsReserved.

Designed by ScreenWritersArena